Thursday, September 18, 2014

POPzilla - the Tim Burton show

I was recently invited to participate in a gallery show hosted by POPzilla and the theme is Tim Burton!  I was able to meet one of the curators, Sam Carter, and I think this is gonna be pretty swell.  I'm looking forward to any opening night pics!

I could be inspired by basically anything Burton has done - a lotta great options.  I was feeling Beetlejuice at first, but for whatever reason the mental tide shifted.  

Here's a little teaser for now :)


And here's all the details:

Tim Burton tribute art gallery this Fall!

POPzilla Gallery presents the Burton Show
at Rothick Art Haus in Downtown Anaheim CA.
Opening night reception Nov 1st 6pm – 10pm, Tim Burton cosplay encouraged.
Show features more than 50 artists celebrating the career of Tim Burton through pop art.
Show runs Saturdays in November, don’t miss it!




*** UPDATE ***

This was the final piece I shipped off for the show.  It was the second time I had tried layering acetate like this - practice makes perfect ;)  Actually the technicalities of this sorta mounting can be tedious so I don't have any similar projects in the future.  I do like the final result though


The paper towel is quilted with absorbing pockets.  Just FYI ;)

Sam Carter is one of the guys who runs POPzilla.  Here's a link to his site with a slideshow of the reception.  Looked like fun.  I think he has more to show on Facebook:
http://samcarterart.com/burton-show-opening-nightmare-reception/