Monday, September 05, 2011

Stay Classy.

Here's somethin' new!



Let me start at the beginning...

A friend shared this color challenge meme from Deviant Art with me. The object was just to make an image in each of the squares using ONLY the 5 colors for each of those squares. An exercise in restriction in other words. Cool.


I've been on an "Anchorman" kick lately so I thought I'd draw busts of the characters, work that out of my system, and try to match up appropriate colors from the meme. 2 birds with one stone...so to speak. The milk carton (not that it's an actual character...) gravitated to the primary colors immediately. All other characters I kinda just had to make work as best I could. It was also about defining lines and shapes in their faces - defining lighting for me too. Then it was kind of a layout exercise as I tried to assemble the busts to read well...enough. Then I retrofit those busts into the meme. It was all sorts of exercises!


And here're some horrible, horrible, scribbles as I was trying to work out the characters. Also, I've listed the order in which I drew the characters and the number of times I drew them before I felt satisfied taking them digital:





Brick - 9 drawings
Ron - 15
Brian - 4
Champ - 3
Veronica - 1
milk - 1

Just kinda interesting to note that some drawings or characters can click better/faster than others.

2 comments:

damon said...

wow that is really cool

i like that a lot!

aisha said...

Subaru Baja Turbocharger
I enjoyed your post. It’s a lot like college – we should absorb everything we can but ultimately you need to take what you’ve learned and apply it.