Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pooh

A friend at work had shared some Russian animation with me recently. Super interesting to see/compare to U.S. cartoons. Timing sensibilities, budgets, gags, styles, etc. There's a lot of stuff out there but animation is probably one of the least visible art forms I'd say. Music, dance, painting, sure - all very international. But outside of Japan, it's hard to identify an animation studio outside of the U.S. Perhaps animation wasn't as commercialized in other countries as it was in the U.S., but it makes me wonder how everyone learned and shared their knowledge. How did Tezuka learn? Who were his "nine old men"? The "Illusion of Life" wasn't a hot commodity in Soviet Russia, but there were still people doing animation. Did France, an art mecca, have their version of Disney Animation Studios? How did everyone even start to learn? And once it sorta caught on, how was the information shared? Animation is referred to as an "inbred industry" because it's so small and everyone knows each other and everyone worked with everyone else even if through osmosis. It had to be the same in other countries but even smaller! It's all pretty interesting to me.

Anyway, while watching Russia's "Winnie Pooh", I had to doodle some of the characters. Pretty loose and not really sticking to their model, these were just fun to spit out. I was completely challenged by Pooh's lumpy design. But Piglet stood out as my favorite. I could easily boil him down to something shapely and almost iconic. Fun stuff!

Then I did a simple little interactive (meaning you could click on him...) animation of Piglet but since I can't post .SWFs through blogger you only get two frames :P






Right...I guess you'd hafta watch it to have any sort of comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqdiEUp6s4E

Love the heavy crayon credits at the start!

1 comment:

Jeremy Rumas said...

Bob, thanks for sharing this. That Russian Pooh short is awesome, I loved it!!!!! Cracked me up. Everything about it was so different than what I'm used to seeing and hearing, the timing of everything was so different. Very cool, I'd never heard of this before. I dig your sketches here too.