Monday, June 09, 2008

Another post!?

Over the weekend I was able to sink some time into some concepts for my buddy Sean. He's working on an indie film project and he asked me to draw up some of the characters. I love his whole concept and I was drawn to these 4 out of a list of characters he sent me. But what I really enjoyed is that the visuals inspired him. Sometimes the best gigs are free ones.

It's Sean's story so I won't ramble on about the premise. Besides, it's more fun trying to figure out how all these goons might relate!





Somethin' about the colors in these Gas Masked Ninjas really works for me. They're dark and still colorful but not anyone I'd particularly like to meet.

And here's the development of "Lizard Man Sam" in a handful of horrible doodles.




The lizard head I circled in blue was inspiration from Justin Parpan. He used to have an avatar of a talking dino head like this. Got me thinking about openin' Sam's mouth here.



12 comments:

crylic said...

Very cool, Bob. I love the lizard and your color choices on all are top notch! The sickle girl is the shit tho, soo deadly!

justinpatrickparpan said...

Top notch Lizard Man Design, Bob! And you know what, If I was to give my own Lizard Man a pair of shoes I would have picked Chuck's as well!

Can't wait to see the work you bring to the Con this year. Hopefully we'll be in the same row again!

Alina Chau said...

THese are WICKED AWESOME!

DJ Smack Mackey said...

Bob, I went to Borders yesterday and outlined pretty much the entire story. Next I'm going to write up character sheets for each of the major characters, so I can work out exactly who they are and how they relate to each other. I keep staring at your drawings and ,aside from being jealous that I can draw this well, I keep pulling more and more character from them. Beautiful stuff man!

Clarke (Csnyde) said...

These are great Bob!

Especially dig the bold sleek color treatment on these. Especially the box-cutter Lizard man.

Kevin Barber said...

Really like that Lizard man. Great render and great poses.

Dan Segarra said...

Nice man! The lizard dude looks a little bit like you. Maybe that's why the design looks so natural. Great pose and really appealing all round. Nice work man, makes me want to draw more often... the sketch forum at RFX is a bit empty. Not too many contributors. Hopefully that'll change now that things have slowed down a bit at work.

Inspiring designs though. Lookin' awesome!

Martin Hsu said...

Wow, these characters turned out great, man!

Oscar González Loyo said...

Great Work!

Greetings from México!!

http://sketchbookdeogl.blogspot.com

Gnarfdeath said...

dude, those rule!! nice work!

Bobby Chiu said...

Sweet characters. Lizard man rules!

Kevin Barber said...

AW MAN,...I CAME BY THIS BLOG HOPPING YOU WOULD HAVE A BOOK TO SELL THIS YEAR AT COMIC CON. BY YOUR LACK OF A POST I SEE THAT YOU DON'T SO I WILL JUST HAVE TO BUY SOMEONE ELSES. TOO BAD.