Sunday, April 20, 2008

DEATHPROOF

I'm taking a little detour from the short for a bit. Allow me to explain: I've wanted to draw some sorta print for one of my favorite movies in recent times, "DEATH PROOF", which was part of the GRINDHOUSE double feature. I got a fancy new printer for my sis for Christmas last year and I can't wait to use it!




Death Proof has some interesting characters in it (and plenty of girls) and I could go on about why I like it so much but the important thing is that is sparked a bit of fanboy motivation in me to draw something. Plus, there's a lot of inherent style with the whole Grindhouse feel that I initially thought would be fun to replicate. The thumbs above I remember doodling at the kitchen table of my parents house around Christmas time (already thinking of putting the printer to use). General layout ideas. At the top you can see I scrawled some stuff I wanted to watch and listen too for inspiration: "Escape" referred to "Escape from New York", "Matchpoint" was just in there because I like Scarlett Johansson, and "Vanishing Point" was a 70s car chase flick that was part of the inspiration behind Death Proof. So you can see a couple early ideas I had for dividing up the page with characters and imagery. I was thinking of dominant reds and black and dirty beat up edges and scribbly handwriting in typical Grindhouse fashion. In red col-erase are some very complicated math equations about dimensions and alloys and stuff I wouldn't expect anyone else to understand...



Trying to dial it in a bit more, I found an image of Kurt Russell (Stuntman Mike) and decided to make him nice 'n' big in the background mostly because he would be the funnest to draw and is the best character in the flick. Kept the car with the girls around it, and it's hard to tell but there are some squares along the right side that I'm planning to put the girls' faces in. Title at the bottom in some sort of "Detroit car font" with kerning maxed out. Starting to think about colors a bit more too.



This ain't much tighter, but it's digital and basically allowed me to make sure I had the space for everything. And somewhere around this step I started getting excited about different possibilities. I think it was because the girl doodles were kinda stylized - at least in my mind. Triangle torsos, some hips, and a dot for a head. So instead of this gritty comic bookish, beat up Grindhouse look, I started thinking about somethin' kinda slick, kinda flat, kinda vector, kinda graphic, but not too graphic, that I could draw... So I guess I opted to stay within my own comfort zone/style but the contrast to the look that is already associated with Death Proof is what interested me even more.



And here's where I'm at as I type this. I drew all the pieces individually. Mike, the car, the silhouettes, then the girls' faces. And I re-drew everything multiple times just to get something I liked better. Mike was still more realistic in the beginning. With each drawing I had to push him a bit more. Same with the car. It was difficult to force some purposeful wonkiness and streamlined lines where appropriate. I just wanted to draw what I kept seeing in the reference image. Like a mentioned one other time in a post: I feel like I have to re-learn how to draw every time I start a project but that's part of the fun. The silhouettes came pretty easy, but I second guess a lot of lines curves vs. straights so I drew them a couple times each. The faces were tough mostly because I didn't know what angle/pose to use for each. Should it reflect their character? Should they be sexier just for interest? Should I alternate them looking right and left? Should they all be centered? Just a lot of questions.

Anyway, I think that's as far as I'll go as far as posting this project. I have other design ideas not show in these roughs but I know I'll fool around more as I start getting into Flash and Photoshop. Maybe I'll put up a low rez watermarked final version, but I want people to see/buy somethin' completely new from me in San Diego this year. Speaking of which - Dave and I will have our books this year! They're only a year late! Printing problems kept us from having our books in time for last year so if ya didn't order one from us online, then we'll have a couple fresh boxes to sell at the show this year. I'll do another reminder post or two as it gets closer to go time.

9 comments:

DJ Smack Mackey said...

Are you not going to do a Planet Terror one? I know some people prefer one over the other, but for me, they are both awesome and I can't separate them from what they were in the theater.
Awesome work as always Bob! make it poster size so I can print it and put it up with my other Grindhouse posters.

boob said...

Nah, I don't think I'll do a Planet Terror one just because I liked Death Proof more. Terror was by no means bad, I'm just a sucker for Tarantino's style.

crylic said...

Well, that poster is looking hella tight, Bob. I am really loving the main image (Kurt and the girls w/ the car) I'm not sure your using any of this in your final image but I thought I would just say that while the girls heads in the squares are rad, It doesn't quite strike me as something you'd see in a grindhouse poster.

Me and few friends did some grindhouse style posters for a movie title we randomly created and I had a bunch of links bookmarked that I tracked down with some really great examples of posters...unfortunatley they seem to have dissapeared or else I would have posted those here.

Anyways, I was thinking that seeing the girls heads not boxed it and in a more painterly style that kind of fades out at the shoulders...this probably doesnt make sense without examples...maybe have the heads behind Kurt and not straight up and down. Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, haha. Regardless, I want me one of those sketchbooks man, I also can't wait to see the finished poster.

geenpool said...

I like it mange. I dunno anything 'bout grindhouse posters, but I like the layout...keeps it up.

Alina Chau said...

Great to see the work in progress. Love the design!

Gnarfdeath said...

lookin' sweet, man!! can't wait to see the polished piece. Stuntman Mike rules! So do the Jungle Julia scenes....

Kevin Barber said...

SAWEEET. Nice design Bobby. The prelim drawings have a J Scott Cambell Danger girl feel.

crylic said...

Hey Bob, I'd love to see the finished piece. You can reach me at crylic@gmail.com.

Peace!

Clarke (Csnyde) said...

Lookin' Goood. Can't wait to see the finish in all it's grindhouse glory!