Monday, March 17, 2008

storyboards

It's taken me some time, but here's some storyboards!



I'm enjoying the process and feeling good about how it's shaping up. Basically these are all the drawings I did straight into Flash (with plenty of "trace back")for the first scene. I'll be animating to a piece of audio so I was able to immediately time these out. In some later instances I plotted out a few keys just so I felt sure about the timing and movement.

I've completed all (nearly 2 minutes) of the boards (not all shown here) and over the course of it I've been walking a line between being productive and being creative. One thing I didn't anticipate is the indirect pressure I'd feel to make use of my free time on this project. The hitch is sometimes I just don't feel creative even though I do have the time. Often I'd feel mentally exhausted after a particularly stressful project at work and I'd just go to sleep. Sometimes I was just more interested in a new video game. So in turn, I've only worked on it when the mood struck and I had the time. It's been slower going, but because of it I think I've maintained interest. It's not about getting another chunk of boards done when I have a few hours at the end of the day - it's more about figuring out a pose or solving a composition problem and feeling small accomplishments. I'd feel better and look forward to coming back for more the next time I have the time. I can compare that direcly to other projects I've worked on where I'm looking forward to one element and I just need to complete the bare essentials to get to the good stuff. Like my own mental sweatshop. When creativity splinters the projects tends to as well. Then it's on to something else.

Now that I'm speaking all psychological like, watch me drop this whole thing like a hot potato ;)

I thought these boards would look cool in a strip/comic book form but really, it seems kinda boring. It's fascinating to me though because I'm doing what I want. This project is something I'm doing in my free time so it's a selfish indulgance. I'm looking forward to some lip sync and some subtle character bits. And that kinda stuff basically look like a string of repeat storyboards. I guess what I find interesting is that this is what I find interesting. Not ninjas fighting robots or someone getting hit with a frying pan - even though I like all that stuff for sure.

Just a few larger ones:




12 comments:

Jav said...

I see what youre saying now Bob...
I think having a manageable "bite size" short makes it much less of a task as well. Its also great already having not only the story but some audio as well.
Art wise I love this little scene...Those chairs are awesome.
and especially the final girl scribble of her leaning in...

Joseph Merideth said...

these look nice b...
yeah it seems like everyone's notion of animation is that things have to always be moving...blame disney for that (although done correctly it's magic) so sometimes silence is golden...one thing i noticed is that you go in close on the dude but never the gal...is there anything in the dial. that can get us in on her? does it not seem like there's a place to go a little tighter on them both?
best
JM

boob said...

Thanks guys.

Jav - I wanted to say that I think I will go with the stripes.

Joe - This is definitely a scene where I can cut back and forth between characters during their conversation. I'm doing it here on the guy mostly for a weird almost comedic effect. My gut instinct is telling me more and more to just go with one long shot the whole conversation - in the following scenes as well. There's something I like just seeing the two characters talk and interact. I feel like we can SEE their relationship better if I don't cut to close up even if the dialogue completely supports it. Somethin' I'll definitely experiment with that should be flexible in Flash.

crylic said...

Great boards man, simple and too the point. I totally agree with you about having the "time" to do so stuff but not feeling creative or feeling exhausted or whatever...and the impending guilt that follows...oh the guilt. I'm in that situation right now and have a short film to board in just over 2 months with absolutely nothing on my plate other than that and yet here i find myself blogging away when I should be working...my biggest issue is the daunting feeling that doing boards gives me...the pressure to pump out the good stuff...ahhhhggghhh...its brutal...

crylic said...

Oh i also agree that it feels like we should cut in close on the girl in this sequence. I am super pumped to see some more on this from you man, always nice to see stuff from you especially knowing we're kind of in the same boat at the moment.

Kevin Barber said...

Excellent. Your approaching this as you should. On your terms and when you feel creative. As you should. It is not a race. It is a project meant for you to ENJOY yourself and to learn with. So,...if a videogame draws your interst more,..play the game. Your efforts on the film will be stronger if you are feelin it. Great stuff Bobby.

Joseph Merideth said...

True very true (on the flexibility flash will allow you in terms of cutting...) seems like it will give you tons of opportunities to experiment with that aspect of it...

VERY much looking forward to it!!!

~JM

SACKS said...

looking good. Stay on top of it. I too am working on a labor of love project. It's tough when you don't have the time nor the energy. DRIVE is the the key.

crylic said...

Thanks tons for the in depth crit, Bob. It was extremely helpful. Thanks for taking the time to write so much. Can't wait to see more on these boards of yours, it's where I'm at right now.

crylic said...

Haha, no offense, if you can dish it i can take it.

Dan Segarra said...

I love the subtlety in these guys Bob. The woman's personality comes across well, man. If I were the french guy... I would reach over the table, tap her on the shoulder so she turns her head to look at me, then slap her in the face.

Nice job. :)

Biocreep said...

Hey man! These look great! Are you going to be at Comic Con this year?