Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The long and short of it...

I meant this post to be posted on January 1st to start the new year right but apparently my resolution to stop procrastinating will hafta wait til next year... Ha ha ha...hahoooo...hooo *sigh*

Anyway, the plan is to complete a short film. 2 minutes. Simple. Fun. Attainable. Easier said than done I suppose. And I'm even hesitant to say anything for fear I can't actually get it done. I have a pretty good stack of incomplete projects; some I've even re-started just to unfinish them again. I ain't sweatin' it though - I just hope it's different this time.

So I have the audio from a friend and former co-worker, Mike Caisley. A great little dialogue piece that I hope I can do some good character work with.

I could try to tell you what it's about and how it's inspired me creatively but I won't because I'm afraid you won't care or think it's funny.

This is a creative endeavor where I'm selfishly the only audience. I'll want to show it off when I'm done (provided I finish) and hopefully others will like it. A lot of people get tied up with story and the writing and crafting what they hope is something truly fantastic. I don't really think like that and aspire to be that brilliant storyteller, but I do often think about what will get the biggest reaction. What can I show them to get them to laugh, cry, think, etc. And if that means animating a talking piece of poop, do I really want to do that? Suddenly I'm making a film for someone else. This is my free time, this is what I will enjoy watching and making. Me me me. Dammit :)

Anyway - I'll try to document significant milestones along the way on the blog. First up are the characters. This is a French (no?) couple and their look has been knocked around in my head and on paper for a couple months now. So far I can still stand lookin' at them. It's very stereotypical and part of French fashion has always been the black and white striped shirt but there's something I like about the even more simplified design sans stripes.



And here's the development doodles in chronological order. The earliest ones were doodled at Bakers Square with Dave in one of our "eat 'n' ideation" sessions...







22 comments:

Jeff Williams said...

Great stuff, friend-o. You didn't tell me you were working on a short. Even when I was kicking my own ideas into your face, you didn't budge. That's resolve.

Looking forward to seeing more.

And I have to agree, I think you should stripeless.

Jeff Williams said...

"should GO stripeless"

[idiot]

boob said...

Jeff, Yeah...I've hesitated saying anything at all to anyone about the short for fear I just won't meet my goals. Fear of commitment an' all.

But seeing as how the short is really my only creative outlet and I do want to post something, I just had to suck it up and be out with it.

Now I'm hopeful I can stay on track and encourage others and be inspired by others to see it through. Dave has been spitballin' some new ideas, my buddy Sean has a film project or two he's been noodling on, you have somethin' in the works - I know you do - So maybe it'll turn into some sort support group for completing projects.

See you at the next AA meeting (Animators Anonymous).

boob said...

As far as the stripes, yeah I dunno. They really are part of French fashion in the 60s and the stereotype is important to me. But I don't want him to look like a crook either.

Technically speaking, I wanted to use the stripes as a static texture for the most part - masking off different parts and having the stripes stay in the same orientation. Like you'd see the UPA toons of some guy in a plaid coat and the texture doesn't move. I think that effect works better in animation than in stills however. And then I thought, well maybe I can sort of move a texture around while, say the characters arms move around. While horizontal stripes look good on the left arm in pose 1, I could rotate the texture to be vertical for left arm pose 2. Know what I mean? A lot of tricky mask work espeically when body parts overlap.

Or I could just do it the right way and draw the stripes within each symbol in Flash. The elbow joint would be the only tricky part.

Eh, I kinda want an excuse to try something different. We'll see I suppose.

crylic said...

Great stuff man, glad to see you back in blogging action. Can't wait for more. I love your super descriptive process posts, they're super inspirational.

T' said...

For what it's worth, to my eye, the stripes say 50s/60s and without, they both look more modern and yet still French. I'm not sure why this is and I'm just some random blogger, so take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck on your short!

Marcos Mateu said...

Man, these two are so cool!

Alina Chau said...

THese character design are fun, nice to see the sketches as well as the final version! Love the style!

Joseph Merideth said...

Bob
That's so great to hear so many people are starting to work on film projects...if there is anything at all ChewBone can help with let me know...I've actually started a short piece as well and it'd be great to continue the kind of energy and inspiration the Portage show generated...it would be good for me to talk about it and get feedback whent the time is right...

best of luck!!!
~JM

Don Does Dallas! said...

Great style and good look! I have seen what you can bust out at WMS and 2 minutes is nothing! Please finish your project, cause I know it will look dope! Great stuff!

Good things in 2008!

D

Dave Pryor said...

Now having spent a week in Paris, I can definitely say that everyone looks exactly like those character designs.

Just kidding. They don't exactly, but they're close. The guy I met that fit the French sterotype the most was actually a waiter in London. I guess he was playing it up since you were supposed to get that French flavor in this particular place.

The French I met were surprisingly friendly, and the only snooty one I met was down in the Metro when we needed to buy a pass. He was the snooty frech stereotype to a tee - so even though he was plenty rude, I was glad to meet him.

I didn't see anyone in a striped shirt. French are pretty skinny though. I saw only one fat person while I was there. Motorbikes a plenty. Bob, I have tons of pictures to share with you when I get home. I got the cafes and so much architecture that your eyes will bleed.

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing the progress and moving on with my own project too. All I can say about it right now is I hope you like Potatoes ;)

DJ Smack Mackey said...

Bobbo, I wanna see this one finished. I mean it! You're one of those guys who is just going to be discovered one day, and I wanna be able to say "I knew him back when he wasn't an egotistical jackass, when he was a down to earth nice guy with a lot of talent. Shame he became such a diva."

GOGOPEDRO said...

Good luck in the 08 boober.

P

Kevin Barber said...

Excellent Bob,

I could tell something was brewing within you. Designs look geat. Fun stuff. Just keep it real and do this for you.Keep it fun and don't feel any pressure.Good stuff Bobby.

Dan Segarra said...

Nice Bob! Good luck with it man... and Happy Waaaaaay Belated Birthday by the way. :)

Gnarfdeath said...

love the preliminary sketches!! its great to see the evolution of the characters!

eel bog said...

HAHA! Awesome character sketches. That skinny striped dude made me chuckle :)
Cheers!

Illustrator's Lounge said...

You have brilliant work here! That french-looking guy is hillarious.

Geo

Dan Segarra said...

No update on the short?


...need some CG animation? ;P

- Dan

DJ Smack Mackey said...

where's the updates, Bob? I been waitin'!

Jav said...

Saw this a while back but hadnt gotten a chance to comment...
some nice designs here Bob...
I gotta say though, I actually like the stipped shirt.
some of those French guys look like Pierre Alary...
we have stereotypes for i reason i suppose.
Good luck with this one... hope it gets done.

DJ Smack Mackey said...

After seeing the animatic, Bob, I gotta say.....striped shirt. Definitely.