Sunday, August 26, 2007

HAMRSIKL

I've always liked communist Russia. Wait, lemme explain. The hammer and sickle and Russia in general have such strong iconolgy. The colors, the style, the feeling of impending doom. It makes ya wonder if every dictatorship used the same graphic designer.

I've been playing a game for PS2 called "Red Star" based off the comic book and I've had Red Skull in my head for some time now and I've wanted to try using the water color tools in Painter. So mash all that together and this is the result. Whenever I try something new I'm usually very doubtful. I know I can fall back on other methods, styles, design that I already really enjoy doing and be confident it will turn out good. However, I like a lot of things about art and there's times where I'd like to be looser and let things flow more spontaneously. So I guess it's natural reaction to feel "nervous" when experimenting outside the "comfort zone".




The funnest part is always the drawing and design. A few different skull sketches here:



20 comments:

Tal said...

creepy...
I love it!

GOGOPEDRO said...

NICE......I see that being wrangled into a pretty sweet Red Skull Illustration too.

P

jupey krusho said...

great power in these sketches! deyz coo' too

crylic said...

deadly piece Bob, great colors. Best skull head I seen all week!

Vaminoser said...

I always knew you were a communist.

DJ Smack Mackey said...

Holy Shiznite! Bob, are you feeling alright? This is kinda friggin' dark for you. I love it!

Dave Pryor said...

Yeah, the water color tools in Painter are pretty sweet. This gun happy communist skelleton looks like he's eager to plug someone. Nice work buddy.

Greg said...

Great design Bob! And we did run into one another at the Comic-Con, I talked to both you and Dave. Oh how confusing it can be to be a twin in San Diego. hahaha. Cheers!

Alina Chau said...

WICKED!! What a cool character!

Catherine Satrun said...

Coooool! I like the angles and shapes you have going on here.

Kevin Barber said...

Pretty cool Bobio. some strong design in the skull heads and nice mood in the color piece. Nice job.

Jav said...

came out pretty damn cool man...
Is the shading on him done in Painter as well or is it the original pencil sketch?
I feel i can tell most of the time but I cant here...
nice job.

ART JUMBLE Blog said...

Very nice Bob!

ART JUMBLE

boob said...

Thanks crew! Glad to see ya don't mind a facist skull every now and then! :)

Greg - Awww Greg. Sorry man. I'm sure being mistaken for your brother is an annoyance especially from a boob like me...

Jav - Yeah the graphite shading was done with pencil and the little yellow rim light was an extra touch in Photoshop. I like how Painter handles media but I'm still so comfortable with selecting things, layers, filters 'n' such in PShop. So it causes me to bounce back and forth between softwares.

ridd1 said...

aww man i love those sketches

Juampa said...

Your Character is really awesome!!!

Excellent style!!

Bobby Chiu said...

Awesome designs.

NLSL said...

Very good Blog

pumml said...

Nice drawrings here, Bob. I like the background and colors and those top 2 sketches are awesome!

gujyfikghkj said...

美女聊天室,18禁,美女自拍,美女自拍,美女聊天室聊天,免費聊天,免費視訊,一對一視訊,一對多視訊,聊天人緣,談情說愛,成人視訊,影音視訊聊天室,相片,靚辣妹群,成人,成人影城,成人影片,線上成人影片,18成人,18禁