Wednesday, February 21, 2007

2D vs 3D!

click image to see it move!

If you're inclined to hang around me long enough, you'll probably soon figure out where I stand when it comes to the age old battle: 2D vs. 3D. I'm 2D all the way. I don't care how mind blowing 3D animation gets - there is nothing that can replace the look and feel of moving lines and shapes. 2D is limitless in terms of the look and feel. Style is infinite. There is so much to explore, and it might not all be appropriate for feature animation but that's what interests me the most about art and animation in general.

Plus too, it's plain hard to think in 3D :)

All babbling aside, this kinda stuff comes up all the time everywhere I've worked. You'll always find a divided crowd. And in any case, it's always a great topic to stoke the artistic fires!

So my buddy Sean is a 3D animator and he's issuing the challenge: 3D vs 2D on his new blog. It's a great topic and excuse to do some sloppy fun animation for a good cause. And as everyone knows, the best flipbook style animation features only the most wholesome violence possible :)

Anyway, check out the blog and drop him a line if ya wanna participate. I'd love to browse a collection of violent animations from various animators featuring the age old debate 3D vs. 2D (or as I like to think of it, 2D vs. 3D) ;)

Technically speaking, I did this frame by frame in Flash with onion skinning turned on. It's 24 fps and I switch between one's and two's where need be. I used some re-looping symbols here and there, but for the most fun this had to be quick and sloppy! Also, I'm not sure about the frame rate in some browsers. I spit out an animated GIF at 24 fps and it seems to run good in Mozilla but Internet Explorer seems to have problems. Is the frame rate some how embedded in the sequential frames? I'm not even sure how GIFs work. It's also doing this weird outline effect in the posted image. I can't seem to fix that. Regardless, enjoy!

23 comments:

Palm Springs Savant said...

hey there...I stumbed on your blog and had fun checking it out. nice work.

stop by and say hi sometime
www.rickrockhill.blogspot.com

Edward said...

That's a real coincidence that you brought this topic up. I just recently got back into 3d. And I'm really stuck in the middle on this subject. Strong knowledge of animation and their principles can really pull off some sweet 2-d or 3-d work. But when it comes down to it, I think all 3-d needs a good basis in solid 2-d design.

Alexei Martins said...

Hahahaha!!!I love it!!!
2D RULES!!!!!

Tommy Kane said...

Great drawings. I was wondering if you are interested in swapping links. If you link my blog to yours I'll do the same. Let me know. Write me at:
tom@tommykane.com

Marshall Bock said...

Haha! You know I'm a 3D guy, but this is flippin' awesome! Great action and timing. If every 2D guy were as talented as you, Boob, I'd probably switch over to the Dark Side as well ; )

DJ Smack Mackey said...

I hope you remembered your text book, Bob. Cause 2d is gettin' SCHOOLED by 3d!!! YEAH!!!!

Catherine Satrun said...

2D LIVES!!!! Waahahaaa!!!! I love this animation! I am 2D all the way!! ^.^

Sarah Satrun said...

I normally don't like violence- but this piece cracked me up! Love it! (waving my 2d flag):D

Kevin Barber said...

Heeelllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooo Booooooooooooooooooooobbb. It's Marrrrrrrrrrrrrcccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Where's the Bob goodness ?

Joseph Merideth said...

so what then is your stance on 4D...just curious

xo
~JM

Roc said...

Its funny cuz its true.

Hilarious

boob said...

Thanks guys. I know I'm riding a fine line between violence, entertainment, and rioting ;) Glad you could dig it!

Kevin - I know, I know. I've been busy with stuff I can't post. I'll dig up somethin' and post soon (I hope).

Joe - 4D? Isn't that just 3D with the element of time thrown in for good measure? Well if time can make 3D animation better I'm all for the fourth dimension ;) ...come to think of it, it's timing that makes any animation really worth watching. Whoa.

femmezorro said...

Bob, Bob, Bob- You are seriously behind in representing 2D. My talented stud of a husband is kicking ya'll's ass on 2D vs 3D. Did you see that Axis of Evil he did? Pure genius. I think you're playing with your bunnies too much and neglecting the challenge. Just goes to show 2Ders are lazy good for nuthins.

Gnarfdeath said...

3d's goin' down!!! the pencil is more deadly a weapon than a mouse no matter what "D"......

Alina Chau said...

EVen I am working on 3D these days, but I still like 2D more, there is some charm in 2D that extra human touch is something computer can't replace!

Joseph Merideth said...

MAN!!! i really long for the days of 1D...such a beautiful and lost art...*sob-sniffle*

joe

G1toons said...

ha ha ha , that was funny, nice

G1toons said...

i second what alina said, there is to much beauty in 2d

bruno werneck said...

haha
I noticed Sean is using 2D for his animation... why? because it would take a while to rig that stuff.. ;)

DJ Smack Mackey said...

Au contraire! Visit the blog and you will see that 3D dominates in both dimensions. Oh yeah!

Jörn Gebert said...

lol, rowfl, etc. i love and i lough

jim said...

This is so AWESOME!!! Sorry I haven't been lurking in quite a while... nice job Bob!

gujyfikghkj said...

美女聊天室,18禁,美女自拍,美女自拍,美女聊天室聊天,免費聊天,免費視訊,一對一視訊,一對多視訊,聊天人緣,談情說愛,成人視訊,影音視訊聊天室,相片,靚辣妹群,成人,成人影城,成人影片,線上成人影片,18成人,18禁