Saturday, October 14, 2006

MetalJaw TrapGear


Trapjaw has always been a favorite character of mine from He-Man and I chose to mix him with the character designer behind Metal Gear Solid: Yoji Shinkawa. I really admire his style and you really get to see his artistic evolution from game to game. His work on Metal Gear Solid for PSOne was his specific inspiration. These red lines ran all through his charaters in the concept art. I imagine it was a stylistic choice but it felt like it belonged rather than just something for the sake of being cool. His work got even loser as the games went on. Stark whites block out portions of characters and his brush strokes are more visible. This was fun to attempt for me, somethin' I wanted to try in Painter, though I think I missed a lot of the subtleties.


The image above is a sample from Yoji Shinkawa for Metal Gear Solid. Just great work.

7 comments:

Alina Chau said...

cool design!

crylic said...

awesome stuff man, the head poppin' one is a blast.

crylic said...

Wow man, thanks for all the crits, I am always open to 'em and take them all to heart, especially when coming from a great artist like yourself. I'll definitley play around with Sophie some more and see what I can come up with.

Cheers bro!

UrbanBarbarian said...

tremendous work on this blog! These color sketches are terrific!

I also really dig that Salisbury Steak Poster...! Too cool!

Alexiev said...

Good personaje... Good colors...
I love work...

Best regards...

Chris said...

Great stuff! Real funny and unique. See ya!

Jav said...

Great job here Bob-O... I agree, that Metal Gear stuff was killer!
Especially Love the brush of the verticle rectangle in the back...