Sunday, April 09, 2006

Up, Up, Down, Down...



IGN held a contest for "I AM 8-BIT" - a gallery for art based on retro gaming. They were lookin' for "real art" done the old fashioned way and even though my work is 95% digital I submitted it anyway. The sketch is my final drawing I took into Flash. I went through plenty of doodles to get there and I still wasn't absolutely sure I liked it.

I was inspired by the look of some Brazilian speedos... I mean, I totally dig the “controlled messiness” and visible strokes in some of Broohoo’s speed paintings. This was nowhere near speedy for me however :)

Hope you all know the game...

14 comments:

SteveLambe said...

I wanna take this image on a date.....cause it looks that GOOD!

Amazing work, Bob!!

Dan Segarra said...

Awesome stuff Bob! Very recognizable. Which gun does the FG soldier have? ...the spreader!? Man I loved that gun.

BLECHA! said...

Contra! Excellent illustration, Bob.

I'll have to agree with Dan. The Spreader gun was the best.

Oh, the hours lost playing that and Castlevania.

Did they like it?

Kipp Schell said...

sweet ass sweet drawing man, Contra Rules all!

Leo said...

Haha! That's a great piece! Awesome stuff, man =)

Ben Reynolds said...

awesome stuff man...love those kids from Zathura!!! keep it up

Andre Barnwell said...

very nice design. I like the fact you took it WAY back into time wit this design. Contra a classic forever.

boob said...

It's all about the spreader. You guys know it. Those red, candy-like marbles that sprayed out could annihilate anything that moved.

Glad you all could relate and thanks for the kind words! :)

Kipp Schell said...

oh yea, spreader is by far the best gun, the laser kills, but just doesen't have the range

Alan said...

Snap! Great image. It captures the man-tacular violent sugar rush that is old school Contra.

Gerald said...

Good luck with the entry. It still looks close to traditional with the textures and all. Awesome entry.

CarolineJarvis said...

This pic is BOMB YO! ha! Great GREAT stuff!

Scott Warren said...

Man, they look insane. Awesome!

Chris Battle said...

Aw, man-- me and my brother popped too many quarters into CONTRA... Great pic! Awesome drawing and crazy '80s color. You rock, dude.