Sunday, November 13, 2005

Somethin' new...




And here's a pic I just finished up with a little back story: At a recent company party we had this Chicago band called "Captured! by Robots" play a private show for us.

I've heard about this guy before so I was anxious to see it. Basically he's a one member band that plays (mostly metal and noise) with these real robots. There's a story behind it all and his shows are themed and I just thought it was pretty damn cool. The human lead, J-Bot, wears this gimp mask with bulging eyes and he's covered in chains (because he's captured an' all) and this particular show was Star Trek themed so he had on a Next Generation costume. Then there was this song called "don't shake the baby!" that he yelled and shook this baby doll to. He jumped down from the stage and shook this doll in everyone's face while his robot band backed him up onstage. Genius. I guess I was more amazed by the sheer work involved with lugging these "band members" around with him. I was impressed with the work and creativity.

So after all that, I guess that's what led me to draw this up. The pics on his site are old, but if yer interested, check him out at www.capturedbyrobots.com. Oh and I really dig the how the sweat droplets came out - close up! :)

5 comments:

Alina Chau said...

Cool toon here too!! :) REal fun design

Sammy Chu ^_^ said...

Oh wow! Good stuff Bob, good stuff!

I like the fuschia tones here---> it suits you!

cristina paulos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dave Pryor said...

How'd I know this was coming?!?

Too much material here - This guy should have his own cartoon. He could talk to his robots and shop at Aldi.

The pose is real fun here. I just wish I could get that viseral satisfaction of seeing him shake that baby.

Jeff Williams said...

This turned out really nice Bob. I like his pose best of all. I think dude wishes he could move like that.